Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Learning in Place of Working

As we go about our days, usually filled with working, eating, and sleeping, we forget to adventure, learn new things, have fun, laugh at ourselves. This first week of fine woodworking school has been absolutely wonderful. Hand and shoulders hurt from hours of polishing plane blades, knife blades, getting the actual water stones ready for more polishing, by polishing. This is then followed by hours getting used to using the plane. 


"Bevel to the waste!" Torkle (our lovely instructor) reminds us with a thick Kiwi accent. This is not a sentence I had heard before this week. I learned all about the make-up of metals, the difference of wood depending on where the tree grew up. This is only after 2 days of class! Just the thought of everything I will learn these next 8 weeks makes me excited. Our brains have a much better time when we learn something new each day.
Here's some photos of my new classroomhome and my very first workbench.


My Workbench! Even comes with a toolbox for all my collected items.

Karen working away in the classroom

Additional workroom

Working away at my wood puzzle

Polishing room


Sunday before class started was a perfect time to get more comfortable with driving on the left side and also a little exploring. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

On Pepin Island looking back at the trails that are currently closed due to minisheep


MJ bought me a selfie stick! Heyyyyy! Me on Rabbit Island on a chilly morning.

Vineyard going out to Rabbit Island


Rabbit Island, pretty much have the place to myself!

Little town of Mapua, right on the water, little breweries and restaurants and amazing art stores/galleries.

Golden Bear Brewery, closed because I get up to early!

Motueka
What will you learn today? Off to class!


No comments:

Post a Comment